Thailand Visa Information: South Africa
All applicants will be coming into Thailand on a tourist visa.
The visas issued by the Embassy or Consulate entitle visa applicants to ENTER Thailand and must be used within 3 months from date of application.
The Royal Thai Embassy in Pretoria will grant visas through postal application (including couriers).
Visa applications must be submitted to:
The Consular / Visa Section
Royal Thai Embassy
428 Hill Street
Corner of Hill and Pretorius Streets
Visa applications can only be submitted between 09:00 – 12:00 in the mornings, and collected between 14:00 to 16:00 in the afternoons, Mondays to Fridays.
Visa applications are NOT processed on the same day and will only be ready for collection the next working day. The Thai Embassy will be closed on all South African and Thai holidays.
Method of visa payment: Strictly cash only.
Visa Requirements ** Tourist Visa **
The following basic requirements always stay the same:
- Complete and sign TWO visa application forms
- Submit the completed forms along with the following documents.
- Your passport (which should be valid for at least SIX MONTHS from the date of application)
- TWO recent photographs (cannot be the same as in passport)
- Certified copy of your I.D Document
- The Visa fee
- Travel document (photocopy of air ticket / booking / reservation / itinerary)
- Bank statement of financial means equivalent to 20,000 Baht (+/- R5,000) per person
Non-immigrant Visa: R600 per double entry, per person ** apply for a double entry **
To download Thailand Embassy Visa Form click here
What do you do after you get to Thailand?
As you will be entering Thailand on a tourist visa (double entry), which is valid for 60 days, this can be extended for another 30 days in Bangkok or at the immigration centre in your local city, giving you 90 days in total that you can stay in Thailand.
In order for the school to apply for your work permit, you will need to convert your tourist visa into a Non-Immigrant B visa. This cannot be done from within Thailand, so you will need to leave Thailand (before your 90 days tourist visa expires) and go to a neighbouring country to get this conversion done (Laos, Cambodia, Burma, Malaysia, dependng on where you are placed).
This is a very straight forward procedure and is part of being a teacher in Thailand. It is a great way to get out of the country for a day or two and see a bit of South East Asia.
- Although the school will help you get all the relevant documents needed for your visa run, please do not rely on the school to keep track of when your visa will expire
- Do not overstay your visit in Thailand. The fine for overstaying is currently 500 Baht per day, if you overstay more than 40 days (20,000 Baht) you could be deported
To get a Non-Immigrant B visa you need a letter of recommendation from your school that you present to a Thai consulate in another country (Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia, etc.). The letter should state the following:
- The applicant has been offered a job
- The school requests that the applicant be given a Non-Immigrant B visa so that the school may apply for a work permit
- And that the school knows the person to be dependable, upstanding, etc.
Be sure to ask for the letter several days before you leave Thailand, as the schools sometimes drag their feet with this. You will also have to supply them with a registration document from the school you are going to work for.
Common Mistakes: Period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.
- The visa validity ‘ENTER BEFORE‘ is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand and is shown in the visa. Generally the validity of a visa is 3 months
- The period of stay depends on the type of visa and is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry. I.e.: period of stay for a tourist visa does not exceed 60 days, but can be extended by 30 days; however if a short month, like February, or a overstay is involved you might lose the second entry
- Check ‘ENTER BEFORE‘ dates carefully
Contact a member of the Global Teaching Adventures team and we will assist you in your visa run. The trip will cost around 6000 – 8000 Thai Baht, and will include transport, accommodation and visas.